Saturday, July 1, 2017

NYTimes Kale Salad With Apples

I had an over-supply of kale which I needed to use up quickly. A quick Google search led me to this NYTimes recipe for Kale Salad with Apples and Cheddar. This is very simple but I will post it anyway, with my variation on it as well my sense of how it came out.

Ingredients (Serves 2):
  • 4 cups of kale, thinly sliced
  • 1 apple (I went with Gala), diced to 1/4"
  • 10 almonds, chopped
  • 10-20 raisins
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice
  • 5 tbsp olive oil (EVOO)
  • Pinch of salt
Ingredients before prep

Ingredients after prep
Directions:





  1. Prep the ingredients as above

    If you notice the knife in the photo above, it is a Victorinox 8" Fibrox Pro Chef's Knife. I am not much of a cook, but I bought it because of the rave reviews, and it has lived up to the reputation! Especially when paired with the NYTimes Basic Knife Skills guide.


  2. Place the kale, apple, almonds, and raisins in a salad spinner
  3. Stir the salt, lemon juice, and olive oil until it is homogenous
  4. Add the dressing to the spinner and push push push!

The dressing
Unlike the original recipe, this one omits the cheddar, mostly because I did not have any at hand. Overall, it came out pretty good! The total prep time was about 15 minutes. The last tip from the NYTimes was key though: letting the entire mixture sit for 15 minutes after mixing helped break down and soften the kale a bit. I would happily make this salad again!

The finished product: Kale Salad with Apples

No comments:

Post a Comment