Ingredients (Serves 2):
- 1 cup rice
- 1 potato
- 1 carrot
- 1 tbsp Cprriander seeds
- 1/2 cup chopped cabbage
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 15 split cashews
- 1/2 inch ginger finely chopped or paste
- 1 tsp Rajah Garam Masala
- 2 tsp subrus
- 1 tsp ghee
- 2 tsp salt
- In a 2 quart pot , add 2 cups of water and 2 tsp of salt.
- Dice all vegetables and then add to pot along with corriander seeds.
- When water starts to boil, add ghee and rice. Mix well, cover, and steam for 5 minutes at medium heat.
- Add garam masala, subrus, and dry fruits. Mix well, cover, and steam for 10 minutes at medium heat
- After 10 minutes, check that the tehri is well steamed, then lower the heat.
- Cover and let it simmer for 5 minutes at low heat.
One can alternatively use 1 cup of water and 1 cup of V8 Vegetable Juice (Low Sodium) to add more flavor. The tehri goes well with yogurt, raita, papad or simple diced tomato and cucumber mix.